SERVPRO in San Antonio, TX wants to help you with controlling water damage, moisture, and mold problems
Property management, construction and real estate companies in San Antonio, TX face a common challenge from water damage, moisture and mold problems. As insurance premiums rise to offset the cost of these challenges, real estate industry professionals and insurers must work together to achieve reasonable solutions.
Is media hype making the problems worse? You Decide!
Since January 1, 2000, more than 8,000 articles have been published on the subject of “toxic” mold
“However according the Center for Disease Control and Prevention “There are very few case reports that toxic molds inside homes can cause unique or rare healthy conditions. The common health concern from molds include hay fever-like allergic symptoms.”
Facts About Mold
· Mold has existed since ancient times.
· The human species has always lived in the presence of mold.
· There are over 100,000+ species of mold identified. The unique flavor of bleu cheese is produced by mold.
· We are constantly exposed to thousands of different types of fungi in our everyday lives. Certain types of fungi tend to exist naturally in soils, plants, fruits and textiles. Exposure to these fungi in naturally occurring doses is generally not harmful to health.
Mold Needs the Right Environment to Grow
· Water, moisture or high humidity
· Food (any organic substance)
· The right temperature (generally 68-86 degrees F, but some can grow in 30 degrees or colder)
· Lack of ventilation
· Mold presents greater challenges to young children, the elderly and other immunosuppressed people.
· Some molds can produce toxins if the environmental conditions are right.
The good news is there are things you can do to reduce the growth of mold.
An Ounce of Prevention Can Protect You
The most important step you can take is to identify and humidity, moisture or water damage problems before they create bigger problems such as mold growth or structural damage.
§ Periodically inspect your building or home inside and out
§ Look for any water or moisture. Pay special attention around pipes, in basements and crawl spaces. If you see a problem, call SERVPRO of Braun Station to identify the extent of the damage. Sometimes moisture in ceilings or wall cavities cannot be seen. This provides perfect conditions for mold growth. SERVPRO of Braun Station can identify this moisture and remove it.
§ Your nose knows! Musty and moldy odors may be an indicator of growing molds. Your sense of smell may alert you to potential problems you cannot see. Remember, the key to protecting your home or business is to identify a problem early, before it gets worse.
§ Control humidity in bathrooms and wherever water is repeatedly used. Exhaust fans, proper caulking and effective cleaning with an appropriate cleaning product will keep problems away.
§ Business: make sure your Emergency Response Plan includes vendors that have the proper personnel and reserves and guarantees response 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This especially includes plumbers and restoration vendors like SERVPRO of Braun Station.
§ Regularly have your HVAC system and air conditioner inspected to identify moisture problems or drain clogs.