Preventing Storm Damage To Your San Antonio Home
San Antonio weather can be unpredictable
This past weekend we enjoyed comfortable temperatures and were able to spend some time out and about in our beautiful Alamo City. Now, just days later, we are drenched in rain and it feels colder as the day goes on. Being from San Antonio means you know to dress for winter in the morning and layer in case the afternoon becomes summer. As the weather changes, what can you do to protect your home against water damage?
Start with the outside first
- Clean your gutters: when gutters are full of leaves, they don’t allow rain water to flow naturally and can result in an overflow of water. This water might find it’s way into your house via your walls, roof, or accumulation that results in ground-floor flooding.
- Check trees around your house: any trees that are close to your home could ultimately fall in a windy storm, breaking your roof and allowing water to seep into your home. Trees that are too close to your home can also allow animals to climb into your attic, further breaching your roof’s integrity.
- Check your roof: We have been speaking about the importance of maintaining your roof to keep the inside dry. Now is the time to make sure you don’t have any loose shingles or tiles.
Time to Check Inside
- Check your windows and doors: weather-stripping around doors and windows can help to make sure rain doesn’t come indoors. You will want to look for obvious cracks, spaces, and loose hardware. These items can allow droplets to rain into your home.
- Check the foundation: Look for any cracks in the foundation or in the walls. If any are found, deal with them immediately.
- Check your garage door: it is important to ensure that it closes fully and properly to prevent water from entering during a storm.
If Storm Damage Happens
SERVPRO of Braun Station is available to help if rain water finds a way into your home. We are a phone call away at (210) 267-2159 and will be there quickly to start the remediation and restoration process.